- I am taking goods home, outside the European Union. How can I obtain refund of the VAT ?
If you leave the European Union via Brussels Airport, you must have Customs record the export of the goods and stamp the necessary forms.
There are two procedures depending on whether you carry the goods in your hold luggage or in your hand luggage.
Goods contained in the hold luggage:
Before checking in your luggage, contact the customs export office in the departure are (to the right from passport control when going towards gates B)
You will have to present:
- your passport
- your airline ticket
- the invoice or any other appropriate document (global refund cheque)
- the goods for which the VAT refund is requested
After inspection by the Customs export officer, pack the goods in your hold luggage and have it immediately checked in by the airline.
Having checked in your luggage, return to the Customs export officer with your boarding pass, your airline ticket and the baggage labels.
Your documents will then be stamped by Customs and returned to you
Goods contained in the hand luggage:
a) you are leaving the European Union directly from Brussels Airport
After you have checked in and passed passport control (Federal Police), go with your hand luggage to the Customs export office in the departure area (see above). There you present the same documents and goods as described under "1. Goods contained in the hold luggage"
b) you are leaving the European Union via another community airport:
You have to complete the necessary formalities at the Customs office at the transit airport from where you leave the European Union.
- VAT refund can be requested only by travellers whose domicile or habitual place of residence is not situated within the European Union and only for goods without business or commercial nature.
- The total value of the goods must exceed € 125 (VAT included) per invoice
- The goods must be exported before the end of the 3rd month following that in which the goods were purchased.