Frequently Asked Questions

  • Which identity papers does a child between 12 and 18 years need to travel?

Children between the ages of 12 and 18 years need the same travel documents as an adult. If they travel alone, without their parents, airlines may require that they are in possession of a parental authorisation.

There are no Belgian or international procedures or forms for a parental authorisation for travel abroad, but an example of a form that can be used is available here.

Some airlines also offer their "unaccompanied minors" service to children above the age of 12 if their parents so wish.

If the child travels with one of its parents, this parent is free to take a written authorisation by the second parent that can be authenticated by the local authority.
Foreign Affairs recommends the use of the parental authorisation if the child travels alone or in the company of persons other than the parents.
Belgian travellers are advised to contact the embassy or consulate of the country of destination to check whether other documents are required for travel with children. Foreign Affairs strongly recommends to check with the embassy or consulate as well as with the airline if the child is to travel alone.